Ten of the best new books for 2020


2020 is looking like a bumper year for fantastic literature. Some of my all-time favourite authors have new releases out in the coming months. So, here's my pick - in no particular order - of the ten books I'm most looking forward to adding to my TBR pile...

1) Utopia Avenue - David Mitchell

It’s been five years or so since his last book so its high time we had something new from Mr Mitchell. Cloud Atlas is one of my favourite books ever and I love how all of his books are linked by various characters. This one - set during the 60s and following the fortunes of a rock group - features a descendant of Jacob De Zoet.

2) Ali Smith - Summer
This will be the final part of Smith’s seasonal quartet. I’ve loved reading these and Ali Smith is now one of my favourite writers. Her style is, perhaps, not for everyone; it took me a while to get used to but I adore it now. I really like how these books are providing a snapshot of Britain heading towards Brexit. If this final instalment is as good as the previous three then we’re in for an absolute treat. 

3) Pine - Francine Toon

This is billed as an eerie, spooky thriller set in the Scottish highlands. There’s been a huge buzz about this one and, to be honest, I was ready to read it based on the stunning cover alone!

4) My Dark Vanessa - Kate Elizabeth Russell

Another one with a huge buzz surrounding it, this deals with the relationship between a 15-year-old girl and her teacher. I think this is one of those books that will have everyone talking. Provocative and topical - a winning combination, no?

5) Piranesi - Susanna Clarke
It’s been 16 years - 16 years!! - since the publication of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Talk about making us wait for more! Jonathan Strange was so unique and unforgettable that I can hardly wait for this one.

6) Vesper Flights - Helen Macdonald
This new book is a collection of articles and essays on the relationship between humans and the natural world. If, like me, you were enchanted by H is for Hawk which charted Macdonald's experiences of training a wild Goshawk in the aftermath of the death of her father, then I’m sure you'll find this a lovely book to dip in and out of.


7) The Mirror and the Light - Hilary Mantel


The final instalment of the Cromwell trilogy which started with Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. Both of the earlier books won the Booker so there’s a lot to live up to. Expectations are high and I am sure we won’t be disappointed. This comes out in March so there is just time to re-watch the wonderful BBC adaptation of the first two books from a few years back starring the amazing Mark Rylance.
Incidentally, Waterstones are currently giving away a handy little catch-up book cover

8) Darkness as a Bride - John Irving
John Irving has such an amazing ability to write really engaging characters and he tells such engrossing stories that can make you laugh and cry within the space of a few paragraphs. His books make you glad to be a reader. This will no doubt be well worth checking out.

9) The Midnight Library -Matt Haig
Matt has a canny knack of making something 'high-concept' seem somehow normal, acceptably believable and intricately realised. No mean feat. He did this to great effect with his earlier book How to Stop Time. I've got a gorgeous hardback edition of this which is illustrated and signed by Chris Riddell. This new tale centres on a library located between life and death which allows visitors to live all their alternative lives. Sounds intriguing!

10) The Devil and the Dark Water - Stuart Turton

Turton burst onto the scene with the bewilderingly and dizzyingly complex Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. It was a brilliantly written book and the very definition of a page-turner. His next book sounds equally as mind-bending and is set to feature a murder mystery on board a ship.

I hope that there is something here to tickle your fancy. What books are you most looking forward to? Let me know in the comments section below - I'd hate to miss out on any cracking forthcoming reads! 

Join me again very soon for the next chapter of the never-ending book story featuring Philip Pullman's Secret Commonwealth....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Three - The Last by Hanna Jameson

THE NEVER-ENDING BOOK STORY: Chapter One

Chapter Two - The Handmaid's Tale